Saturday, March 20, 2010

Too Little Time … So Much To Do


Some updates on my research for all you academics out there! “Eh em” (Clears Throat)


There has been a slight change in plans BUT everything is still on track thanks to the “pow-wow” between a creative team of faculty mentor (Dr. Hackett), committee member and faculty advisor (Dr. Hepner) recent college scholars graduate (Lindsay), honors anthropology student (Erin) and northern music artist (Jeff Korando) …


I’ve gained a better focus and I am still operating under the program I designed for College Scholars: “Post-Conflict Education.” But for the purpose of my time here I will be studying Peace Education in Schools- specifically the implementation of “Peace Clubs” in primary schools and the integration of a peace education curriculum in the secondary schools


Peace Education is a broad term, but it is used to describe a range of activities including promoting peace and nonviolence, teaching conflict-management skills and encouraging tolerance in schools and the community.


My initial comparative study on NGO, local and foreign educational programs was a little too broad for the time that I’m here. The good thing is, is that I have a ton of background information for my focus and a large pool of connections to help me visit schools where there is a peace education curriculum. AND even greater, the agency that I volunteer for, The Pincer Group International Limited, is the group that established “peace clubs” in primary schools! Can you say divine appointment?!


So YES, research is going well … so well in fact that I might stay a little longer … till maybe around mid July …


A change in plane ticket may be on the way!

2 comments:

  1. Jay!! That's awesome!! I'm glad to hear that you are doing well and having fun enough to want to stay longer!! And it's great that you've been learning enough that you can fine-tune your research focus!! I wish you the best of luck (although I know you and know that you will do GREATTTT!!!) Make me proud roomie!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thank you Roomie! Always there encouraging me!...I told you I would post soon. haha. And yeah This week has been so busy. Interview after interview. Just trying to stay afloat. I won't let you down though ;)

    ReplyDelete