Friday, April 23, 2010

Peace Education in northern Uganda

Many of you who are familiar with my postings know that I am a second year student at the University of Tennessee pursuing research on Peace Education (PE) in northern Uganda. I have been here in Uganda since January 22nd. Recently I changed my departure date from May 17th to July 13th- Giving me almost 3 more months to continue researching … and eating malakwang and sweet potatoes :)

Proud to say that significant progress has been made- Like I’ve said before, I’m learning so much and I’m continuing to learn each and every time I go out into the field. This post is my effort to try and share with you the things I’ve discovered about the current implementation of Peace Education in secondary schools.

Here it goes …

Looking at the educational infrastructure of northern Uganda reveals a system devastated by war. Some of the best teachers and administrators fled the region during the insurgency. Schools in the rural were destroyed and those in the municipality were overcrowded with children from the greater north. Resources, learning materials and basic facilities were in short supply and today they remain insufficient. Around 90% of the Acholi & Langi people were relocate to IDP camps and as many of you know, countless children were abducted.

Now with a state of relative peace in the region I find myself wondering how people are copping with the gaps left in the schools by war. Who is helping to rebuild this sector and how is education being used to prevent a return to conflict? These questions pointed me in the direction of Peace Education. USAID, SPRING (local civil-society organization) and UMECS (United Movement to End Child Soldiering) have initiated a pilot-project that will introduce and incorporate peace education and guidance and counseling in 7 schools: Lira Palwo in Pader, Pabbo Secondary in Amuru, Kitgum Alliance High in Kitgum, Sir Samuel Baker, Sacred Heart Academy, Gulu College and Gulu High in Gulu District as well as Unyama National Teacher’s College.

A report from SPRING highlights the pilot project’s peace education goal: “This is intended to bolster reconciliation and national healing, following decades of armed conflicts in several parts of the country … to build a culture of peace on a systemic basis will begin, starting in schools and emanating into the communities.” SPRING’s director for Peace and Access expressed that she thought this initiative would “help the region avoid future conflicts”

My Findings …

So far I’ve visited Kitgum Alliance, Gulu College, Gulu High and Paboo Secondary in relation to this study. Each giving me a unique look at how this pilot-project is working on the ground- I am still looking to observe some of the peace education activities like drama, dance, debate and the actual class-room discussions, but this must be pursued when the 2nd semester begins in late May.

However, select interviews with staff from SPRING, the Ministry of Education & Sports, teachers, faculty and students of these secondary schools revealed that different schools have different methods of incorporating the new peace education curriculum. Some like Kitgum Alliance put it in the timeslot for teaching every Friday, while Gulu College has a slot in the curriculum everyday in-between subjects like history and physical education.

Whatever way they wish to incorporate it, all the teachers trained in PE follow a teacher’s guide on related topics of gender, human rights, freedom and democracy, social justice, environmental sustainability, vulnerable groups, culture, violence, conflict mitigation and management, development of inner peace, peace itself, and how to relate and socialize peacefully with others around you . Most instructors are firm believers in PE. Many recalled that before the teaching of PE the students did not know how to relate to each other in a “peaceful” manner. Every dispute would somehow erupt in aggression. Now they say that those cases have decreased and even their relationships with their pupils have improved.

Personal Accounts ...

From a PE instructor when asked what they have gained from training and teaching: I have gained … because when before I received this training I used to abuse drugs, like maybe taking alcohol but it has changed my lifestyle and nowadays I don’t take it … they said before you teach somebody, stop somebody from doing something you have to also changed your style …

From a student on how PE has helped her: Helps me to develop … it developed my means to be of help in the community

From a student on if PE was needed in school: Yes, because if there is peace in northern Uganda then we will even study well and our government will also plan well for us

From a teacher on if PE can prevent a return to conflict: You know when we create a culture of peace especially from this generation, the young ones we believe are going to avoid any future occurrence of similar atrocities because they will develop knowing what is suppose to be done as far as peace is concerned, they will know how to prevent violence, they will know how to mediate, they will know how to resolve conflict, so we believe this generation is so lucky that they are going to utilize what is being taught



Students are becoming peace actors themselves. In some secondary schools they have become youth counselors in which their peers can come to them for advice first. Although nothing formal has been recorded what’s most exciting to hear is that students take these topics of PE and discuss them with their families. The pilot was just implemented in February, but my hope is that over the student’s first break since engaging in PE the teachers will record and ask the students how they were able to affect their community- adding another dimension to PE

So much more I wish to write about, but for the sake of the few who read my postings let me wrap up!

Students and teachers link peace education directly to having and maintaining a peaceful state in northern Uganda. I’m not sure how practical this is, but the belief is there … and because they see the two as connected and interrelated there is a good chance that this pilot-project, if successful and extended across all of Uganda, will decrease the likelihood of a return to conflict in northern Uganda and will act as a preventative measure for future conflicts in the country.

Me: What does Peace mean to you?
Youth at Kitgum Alliance: Really Freedom

3 comments:

  1. I have thoughts on this (the pilot), but I'd like to see your research to understand it better before commenting. Anyway I can read it when I arrive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's so much I didn't write about (including what is lacking). so I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the pilot.

    ReplyDelete