Monday, July 18, 2011

Being Lost

Words seem to fail me each time I attempt to describe returning to Uganda. I’d been dreaming of this time since my departure last year in July.

My dreams have come true as you can see. And with that, I recognize what a privilege it is to be able to travel back to Uganda. Reflecting on this opportunity, I realize that having the means, freedom and desire to travel is something that many people take for granted. In years past, a few of my Ugandan friends have applied for U.S. visas and not only have they been denied, but they have been subject to severe interrogative interviews. These individuals have personally been invited by my the Jazz for Justice Project to participate in music and art workshops and lectures on how these art forms are helping to establish peace and mitigate conflict in northern Uganda. However, questions such as “what makes you so special?” and “why do they want you to come over” are routine, making the process extremely intimidating and dehumanizing.

For me, I sent in my application and money and waited for my passport to come in the mail. When I arrived in Uganda I filled out a visitor’s card and paid 50 USD to have my passport stamped with a Ugandan visa. That was it. Each time I travel internationally, I remind myself that in every corner of the world, a person’s place of birth and economic status is the determining factor that will open or close the door to the right to travel freely and unimpeded.

With this in mind, I embarked on my second journey to Gulu in northern Uganda where I’m greeted by the common saying “you are lost!” … meaning you have been gone for enough time for people to take notice. So I’ve been lost for a year now, but I’m delighted that I have found my way back to a missing piece of my heart.

Uganda is incredibly beautiful with a rich cultural history stemming from its 56 linguistic groups and their specific ethnic identities. Notable groups such as the Banyoro, Iteso, Langi, Acholi, Baganda, and Karimojong inhabit the lands of this country known as the “Pearl of Africa.” My knowledge of the country’s history pre-colonial, during colonialism and after independence has deepened as my research continues on peace education in northern Uganda and as I meet various political, community, and religious leaders and actors. The saying “the more I see the less I know” remains true as I take this history and work through my understanding of concepts such as justice, reconciliation, peace, human rights, traditional culture and modernity.

I’ve been here now over a week now and I still can’t put into words how wonderful it feels to be back. Each morning I wake up with a smiling heart because I have one more day to be in Uganda. My joy is only overshadowed by seeing the joy on the faces of the students that have joined me this time around. We are here piloting our university’s first study and service learning program in East Africa: The Gulu Study and Service Abroad Program or GSSAP! (see my next post for information on GSSAP).
I hope to share my new reflections here on "Now She is Rising", but also on gssap.blogspot.com pulling together the themes listed above with the reality on the ground.

Please stay tuned to watch this amazing program grow and the impact it will have not only on UT students, but the northern Ugandan community that has welcomed (yet another) group of foreigners. We remain committed to exploring very deep topics with our colleagues and friends all across Uganda who are participating and working with us.

It’s extraordinary that I find myself back here in Gulu to implement this new study abroad program and to continue my research on peace education. Each time I venture out in Gulu town I meet an old acquaintance or friend who reminds me that I’ve been lost … but with every hug, smile, handshake I know that I am found.

2 comments:

  1. Jay! You've turned into quite the poetic writer. I know exactly what you mean about how it feels to return. It's like coming back to a piece of yourself that can only be found there.. a piece of yourself that you can't even begin to understand when you're back home. I can't wait for our Skype date... you better pick a picturesque spot so you can swivel the camera around and show me everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed!! I can't wait for our Skype date too! I'll sit on the Kakanyero's balcony ...let's hope the video is working!! :)

    ReplyDelete