Sunday, February 21, 2010

Success Stories for Humanity

The day of my birthday brought with it many things. For one, it gave me a chance to take a break and relax from the chaos that surrounded moving into our house. In a week and a half Erin and I went house hunting, found a house, signed a lease for 6 months, ordered furniture, shopped intensely for about 3 days, started repairs and unpacked the loads of clothes we had in our suitcases … We were exhausted.

When my birthday arrived we decided to unofficially designate it “Rest Day.” In the past my birthday always involved a lot of "hoop-la" and excitement, but being in Uganda is enough excitement to last me a lifetime.

Spending the later part of the morning and afternoon by the only pool in town (Acholi Inn) we made plans to have dinner at the fabulous Indian restaurant in town later that day.
So the day brought with it rest and relaxation, but it also brought something unexpected: A meeting with Bishop Ochola and Archbishop Odama! … We took the 15-20 minute boda ride out to Gulu Cathedral and the Archbishop’s Residence.

Words cannot describe what all took place as we sat and listened to them talk. They were humble and talked openly about the war and their hope for sustainable peace. Each gave so much of their time that Archbishop delayed one of his meetings that night to continue talking with us! …

I felt as if I were somewhere else. Tears began to swell in my eyes as they talked about the troubles facing the north. A military solution to stop the LRA was not an option to them. Both were looking to rekindle the peace talks as Archbishop Odama said “War [fighting] does not give birth to peace … Don’t get tired of talking … and listening.” A military solution to bring an end to the LRA would mean that the people would lose. “Their children are not coming back,” Bishop Ochola remarked. He was concerned that they would not be able to tell their stories … to tell the truth about what happened to them in the bush … Who else would tell their stories if they are all killed?

It all began to weigh heavily on my mind. My mind flashed back to a few days before when I’d read an article criticizing the religious leaders for their recent visit to Kinshasa (DRC). They met to talk about ways to bring about a peaceful end to the conflict. But, some organizations and officials are now supporting military action simply because the “peace talks” have failed time and time again. Archbishop knowing this said, “Military action is easy … and then you regret it [because you forget] this is a human being”

So forward and honest in their thinking that I was little astonished. They saw humanity as one collective body and that the struggles of one should be of concern to all. They told stories of triumph and forgiveness in which they properly named, “success stories for humanity.” They said if more people were exposed to these stories they would not push for military intervention … some of the most influential leaders like Mandela, Ghandi, Martin Luther King, and Jesus “For those of you who are Christians,” are well known examples of success in the mist of oppression, Archbishop stated …

I can’t recall how long we stayed, but it was dark when we departed. With my heart full, I replayed their message in my head … letting it marinate … letting it stick

I can still hear Archbishop say, “If humanity wants to spare themselves,” and Bishop Ochola finishing his sentence saying “Forgive”

What a lasting image of strength and hope

No comments:

Post a Comment